Fun with DNA
Fun with DNA is an entry-level course involving the science of DNA. This program is designed for highly motivated students who are interested in expanding their knowledge of basic genetics and cell biology. They will be immersed in hands-on activities and laboratory-based experiments designed to increase genetic literacy, encourage critical and creative thinking skills, and spark career interest in the field of biotechnology. Students will:
• construct cell and DNA models;
• use compound microscopes to view various cell types;
• extract DNA from their own cells and from plants;
• use stereo microscopes to observe mutations in fruit flies; and
• genetically engineer bacteria cells with firefly genes.
Fun with DNA is a prerequisite for World of Enzymes.
Dates: July 8 - 12
Time: 9 am - 3 pm
Ages: Rising 6th and 7th graders
Course Fee: $620